Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Just another Schitzo Monday

It's working! My new anti-Spinning-Top-Syndrome is going very well so far. Yesterday was a "Schitzo" Monday where I devoted the morning and part of the afternoon to designing a new purse.
My sister is my 'inspiration', though I've made a couple of these before (see bottom photos). She needed a small purse that she could wear around her neck when she's at work to carry her cell phone. I made her a "Pendant Pocket Purse" from a pattern designed by DJ Bennet. My sister has since been encouraging me to make more of my own design.
Yesterday, I started my design process with brainstorming. I go through several of my idea-folders and pick out ideas that I might incorporate. But before I get too far, anyone out there have ideas of what you would want in this type of purse? Would you use a small purse around your neck (like a medicine bag/amulet) or on your shoulder to carry just one or two things like a cell phone and a lipstick? What would you want to carry in it? (I'm trying to get a idea of size.) And any other wanna-haves that you can think of? I'd love to hear what you're thinking so I can make something useful as well as fun and hopefully artsy.
These I made a couple of years ago. The purse is in two parts: the outer sleeve (with the print) and the inner pocket (black). The outer sleeve slides up the cord to reveal the opening of the pocket. Put a few things in the pocket and slide the outer sleeve back down to keep it all secure and out of sight.

3 comments:

shiborigirl said...

Hey Christie,

These little bags are super SWEET! I love the idea of the outer sleeve lifting up.. pretty sexy.;)

I think a small zipper section, or something separate inside and secure for car and house keys, and a drivers license would be a good addition. But, that's just me...

xoxo,

Kate

BTW, glad the Spinning Top thing is getting under control...

lori vliegen said...

ooooh, christie, these bags are SO cute! i like kate's suggestion....i always seem to need a place for my keys and all the other junk that i have myself convinced that i can't live without. and....thanks for clearing up the STS thing....i didn't know that there was actually a name for it (i think i've been suffering from it for years!). :)

Christie Minchew said...

Thanks for the feedback! What if the sleeve was pretty snug - would you still want/need a zipper? I don't think keys would fall out, but I'll do a "test" on the mock-up that I have.