Friday, December 11, 2009

Fun with Fabric...and Paint...and Paper...at the same time!

I finally took some more pics of things that I made in my "Memory Cloth" class with Peg Gignoux. I had such a great time in that class. Here is one of the pieces of cloth that I made. Several years ago, my mother gave me a large, wooden stamp (I think used for wall embellishments) . I mixed up a thin solution of white acrylic paint and stamped a pattern on this linen fabric I had. The paint is faint in the photo, but it has a nice effect.

I was practicing doing some french seams and decided to add some paper. I grabbed an old pattern that I knew I wouldn't use again and started ripping away by hand - long, thin strips. Then I sewed these onto the fabric, whirling it around and around to make these frilly pattern posies. I love the effect. I know stamping and french seams and sewing with paper isn't new. But it's the first time I really played with it. What a great way to learn - by playing!
More pics soon of my last creation....

2 comments:

A'isha said...

visually they look amazing, if you hadn't explained what the materials were i'd be still puzzled...

thank you for sharing Christie, its great to see what each of us doing...
Cheers
A'isha

shibori girl said...

Christie, these are GORGEOUS! Hmmm, I have a bunch of old patterns around here someplace. ;)

Have you thought of using old sheet music for your flowers? The paper will be stiffer, for sure, but the notes could make a very pleasing design on the petals. Just thinking out loud here...

xoxo,

Kate