Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Prayers for Melyssa

(Click to enlarge any image)
This little number is my version of "prayer flags". I was inspired by the photos of prayer flags that my step-daughter showed me after her trip to Nepal and by the fun garlands that Debra Cooper over at littleblackkittyart makes. But my biggest reason for making this is that one of my very best friends (and college roommates) recently found out that she has lung cancer.
So I set about doing just about the only thing I could think of doing to give her something cheerful to look at in her already quite cheerful home. I came up with as many prayers and quotes and words as I could and scattered them across some happy fabric swatches (of which I have many!).
Now she can stand under these and let them rain down on her.One of Melyssa's passions is birds. So what more appropriate holder of the prayer flag chain than some wire birds with curly streamers flying behind them?
If any of you out there pray, would you please send a prayer up for her? I know she'll feel them...and smile.

4 comments:

lori vliegen said...

i'm so sorry to hear this news of your college roomie....please know that i'll be remembering her in my prayers. and this garland will surely make her feel loved.....what a sweet, sweet gift! i KNOW that she'll especially love the fact that you made it just for her!!
:))

Christie Minchew said...

Thanks so much Lori.

aimee said...

these bright colors are so cheerful - what a thoughtful and considerate gift!

Lesnes said...

I have never heard of prayer flags before - what a beautiful and caring idea...cancer.. oh dear... so many people. Life can be very hard, but the love helps so much X